Crown of Midnight (#2) by Sarah J Maas
Published by: Bloomsbury on August 15th 2013
Genre: YA, Fantasy, Magic
Synopsis: “A line that should never be crossed is about to be breached.
It puts this entire castle in jeopardy—and the life of your friend.”
From the throne of glass rules a king with a fist of iron and a soul as black as pitch. Assassin Celaena Sardothien won a brutal contest to become his Champion. Yet Celaena is far from loyal to the crown. She hides her secret vigilantly; she knows that the man she serves is bent on evil.
Keeping up the deadly charade becomes increasingly difficult when Celaena realizes she is not the only one seeking justice. As she tries to untangle the mysteries buried deep within the glass castle, her closest relationships suffer. It seems no one is above questioning her allegiances—not the Crown Prince Dorian; not Chaol, the Captain of the Guard; not even her best friend, Nehemia, a foreign princess with a rebel heart.
Then one terrible night, the secrets they have all been keeping lead to an unspeakable tragedy. As Celaena’s world shatters, she will be forced to give up the very thing most precious to her and decide once and for all where her true loyalties lie… and whom she is ultimately willing to fight for.
Review: This series is so good and highly addictive. I finished it in just under 3 days. I couldn’t put the book down. I read it on my commute to/from work and had to fight the urge not to pick it up while working to see where the story was going to take me. I am so happy that I picked up Heir of Fire at the same time so I can continue on ASAP. I totally guessed the ending to the book. But when I guessed it at the middle of the story I was like “Holy crap!” so I experienced the same emotions as I would have reading it at the end!
What I liked:
- The covers of these are bomb. They definitely get peoples attention when I am reading them on the subway
- All the characters are fully formed and you can picture what they look like in your head
- The storyline holy cow!
- Celaena & Chaol…
- I love the mixture of magic/fae/wyrdmarks
- Quick, fast-paced high fantasy!
What I Didn’t like:
- Celaena’s character gets on my nerves sometimes. She goes 0 to 100 real quick
- There was one chapter that was just like 2 pages and it was totally a set up for something that’s going to happen in the next book (one would think) but it seemed like it came out of nowhere and since it didn’t come to fruition it was kind of like “why?”
Rating: 4.5/5 stars!
Have you read the book? Did you enjoy it? Comment below!