Maybe Someday by Colleen Hoover
Published by: Atria Books on March 18th, 2014
Genre: New Adult, Romance, Contemporary, Music
Synopsis: Sydney is living in an idyllic bubble—she’s a dedicated student with a steady job on the side. She lives with her best friend, has a great boyfriend, and the music coming from the balcony opposite hers is fast becoming the soundtrack to her life. But when Sydney finds out her boyfriend is cheating on her, the bubble bursts. The mysterious and attractive man behind the music, Ridge, gives Sydney hope that she can move on and they begin to write songs together. But moving on is harder than she expects, Sydney can only hope….
Review: I picked up this books after finishing It Ends With Us. I wanted to see what CoHo books I hadn’t read yet as I was feeling another one of her heart wrenching reads and came across this one. I decided not read what it was about and just purchase it on a whim. I knew I would be in for an original spin on a usual storyline. And I was right when that first twist came in the first quarter of the book. What a different read this was. To be honest the music component wasn’t for me but I feel before I fully judge that aspect I need to listen to the songs done by Griffen Peterson.
What I liked:
- Ridge is character is something I’ve never read about. Books don’t make characters like him so it was a very original and interesting POV to read
- Speaking of POV, I liked that it changed between the POV of Ridge and Sydney
- Fantastic writing as always and fast-paced
- Some of the situations felt very realistic and it felt like I was watching them happen. I read a review where someone described it as being a fly on the wall, and I think that is spot on.
- The lyrics were less cringe worthy as I thought, as lyrics placed in books make me roll my eyes
What I didn’t like:
- I feel like it justified cheating in a way, like, it’s okay to cheat on your partner if your heart feels that the other person is who you’re meant to be with
- Sydney’s character didn’t do it for me. I feel like the majority of the book she was upset and overly emotional. To be honest, she got annoying.
- This was not a love triangle I was down for.
Rating: 4/5 stars!